Have you ever heard how bad commercial deodorants and antiperspirants are for your health? They can contain harmful ingredients (like aluminum chlorohydrate, parabens, propylene glycol, triclosan, TEA, DEA, FD&C colors, and Talc) that have been linked to causing cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Scary! And to think I once rubbed those under my arm multiple times a day…
Here’s a sweet and spicy way to smell good, look good and feel good- aluminum and paraben free!
Homemade Spiced Deodorant
1/3 cup coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda (aluminum-free)
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
Essential oils and/or spices of your choice (optional)
*I recommend using Doterra or Young Living Essential Oils as they are the best for your health.
(time to make- about 10 minutes)
- Mix baking soda and arrowroot powder in bowl.
- Add the coconut oil with out warming or melting it and thoroughly blend it into the dry ingredients.
- Add 5-10 drops of your favorite essential oils and a few pinches of your favorite spices. Blend completely. You may need to add more coconut oil or arrowroot powder/baking soda as needed, until the texture is about the same consistency as a commercial deodorant.
- When it’s all mixed, scoop it into container and store at room temperature. Refrigeration may be required during summer months as when it gets too hot it melts.
- Use a pea-size amount of the deodorant to rub into your armpits daily or as needed. Allow a minute or two for the deodorant to set before getting dressed.
Ps. There are MANY different recipes for DIY deodorant on the web. If this one doesn't float your boat, google search for another! Most importantly, stop lathering chemicals on your body.
*Special Note: To be honest, the first few weeks of using this, I didn’t really like it. BUT after about 2 weeks of consistent use, my body started adjusting- I began sweating less and I definitely stopped smelling as bad as before. It was as if my body had to get used to being free from the aluminum and parabens that were clogging my pores. Now I LOVE using my homemade deodorant and it works like magic! After using it for so long, my body has adjusted so much, that I rarely need to use daily it because I hardly ever smell anymore. Thanks goodness!