Lentil Vegetable Soup (vegan, gluten free)
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
1 cup lentils
1 medium onion, diced
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 sweet potato, cubed
4 collard leaves, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
4 cups spring water or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon rosemary
squeeze of lemon or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1. Spread lentils on a flat surface and pick out any stones, then wash and drain them.
2. In a soup pot, warm the oil over medium heat.
3. Add onion and garlic and cook 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add carrot, sweet potato and celery and continue to sauté 3-5 minutes.
5. Spread lentils on top.
6. Add water and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
7. Add chopped parsley, collards, salt, and a squeeze of lemon juice or umeboshi vinegar.
8. Simmer another 2 minutes and serve.
Add a small piece of kombu, rinsed, to help digest the beans and to add minerals and flavor.
Make extra and store in the freezer to pull out and reheat on busy nights!